What Hydro-Québec does to prevent outages
Prepare an emergency kit for outages. You will find complete information on the Sécurité civile Web site.
Hydro-Québec takes the following measures to reduce power outages.
Unfortunately, it is impossible to avoid them completely.
- Hydro-Québec has a rigorous line and equipment inspection and maintenance program designed to ensure the system is reliable throughout the year.
- The company has significantly reinforced the grid to make it less sensitive to weather conditions.
- Its ongoing program of preventive tree pruning (and felling, when necessary) above and near power lines reduces the number of branches and trees that fall on the lines in high winds and ice storms.
- Surge arresters on the power system limit lightning damage.
- Special equipment guards against animals and birds that are likely to cause outages.
- Each year, in an effort to reduce the duration of certain types of outages, Hydro-Québec installs automation equipment on the distribution system to allow the System Control Centre to perform operations remotely, avoiding the need to dispatch a crew.
- Thermal imaging is used on underground lines to detect faults and identify where preventive repairs are needed.
- Hydro-Québec also makes protective equipment available to contractors working close to power lines, which helps to reduce accidents and outages.
- Along with other utilities, Hydro-Québec is a member of Info- Excavation, where contractors who have to dig can obtain the exact locations of underground utility cables and pipes.
© Hydro-Québec, 1996-2013. All rights reserved.